Instructions for requesting membership to ICOFORT
Anyone interested in becoming an ICOFORT member must be an active member of ICOMOS ( How to become an ICOMOS Member? )
The process will begin with the submission of the application form to the email by the coordinator of the local group of ICOFORT members, by the President of the ICOMOS National Committee of the country where the candidate is associated, or directly by the candidate.
The standard way to enter the committee will be as an Associate or an emerging professional and later based on their experience gained can be upgraded to the position of an expert. However, candidates who present in their curriculum a prominent and long performance as a researcher or professional in the areas of interest of the committee may, upon evaluation of the Bureau, be admitted to ICOFORT already in the category of Expert Member.
The candidates applying in a country that already has 3 or more members in the committee should be vouched by the respective local group of ICOFORT members to be considered as member. The same procedure would be followed during the upgrade of members to expert. (To have an ICOFORT national committee will be compulsory for all the countries having 3 or more members in the International committee). The recommendation should justify the add-on contribution in expertise and knowledge of the new candidates with respective to the existing members in the same country.
The candidates for a regional or worldwide expert should be vouched by the Regional Subcommittee or the regional coordinator and the recommendation should justify the add-on contribution in expertise and knowledge of the new candidates with respective to the existing members in the same region.
Exceptionally, unanimously and with previous publicly, The Bureau will be able to incorporate directly experts of renowned prestige and highly technical and scientific skills that clearly rises to the level and prestige of the international committee even they are not previous vouched by national committees or local and regional groups.
1. Classification of candidates for ICOFORT member of the committee, associates or experts.
Thematic areas of Knowledge on Fortifications and Military Heritage
History, Documentation, Archaeology, Architecture, Linked Technology, Constructive Techniques and Materials
Plans, Projects, Urban Planning, Restoration and Rehabilitation of Buildings or Fortified Sites.
• Culture and Administrative Management
General Management including Culture, Administrative, Tourism, Landscape, Interpretation and Use.
Geographic areas of Knowledge on Fortifications and Military Heritage
• Local: Knowledge or experience about buildings or its typologies of a specific country.
• Regional: Knowledge or experience in typologies of existing buildings in a specific region of the world.
• Worldwide: Knowledge or experience in typologies of existing buildings in different regions of the world or that is clearly suitable for different regions.
One expert from a specific region might have knowledge or experiences that can be clearly applied to other regions for his knowledge. The Bureau will establish if the candidate can be local, regional or worldwide expert based on the curriculum.
2. Evaluation of candidates for ICOFORT member of the committee, associates or experts.
The curriculum will be evaluated (Plans, projects, studies, publications and general experience Knowledge on Fortifications and Military Heritage) according to these criteria:
• The experience will be compared with the experience of existing experts in the same thematic area of knowledge, same geographic origin area and same geographic area of knowledge. New experts should confirm more experience that the current experts in their respective areas.
• Will be preferred experts with a wider geographic field of knowledge.
• The experience outside of the ICOMOS/UNESCO activities will be highly assessed in the selection process.