In view of the uncertainties generated by the current global epidemic caused by Covid-19, we are obliged to postpone the ICOFORT 2020 Marseille International Conference, to a future date, yet to be defined.
We appreciate the efforts of the organizing committee and the institutions that had already expressed support for the event.
We also thank everyone who submitted their abstracts. We look forward to welcoming you to this event in the future.
Next (POSTPONED), 2020 will take place in Marseille, France the ICOFORT 2020 Marseille International Conference whose program will deal with Fortifications; History, Conservation and Re-use. Introductory communications will be presented by invited speakers and others chosen by open call of abstracts, where professionals from all fields related to history, interpretation, re-use, management and conservation of fortified heritage can participate.
The deadline for submission of abstracts will be until (POSTPONED), (send to email@example.com ) which will be evaluated by the Scientific Committee.
Information contact emails:
Presentations to be a maximum of 20 minutes.
1. History; historical research and interpretation
2. Conservation; materials, rehabilitation
3. Re-use; management and sustainable development
Hotels situated between the Old Harbour (Vieux Port , Jardin des Vestiges) and the New Harbour (Fort saint-Jean and Mucem, Musée des civilisations de l’Europe et de la Méditerranée).
2, Rue Bonneterie, 13002
Tel : +33 (0)4 96 11 63 63
-Hôtel Ibis rue Sainte, 13001
46 Rue Sainte
Tel : + 33(0)8 92 68 05 82
-Hôtel Adagio (Appart Hotel)
30 rue Jean-Trinquet, 13002 Tel : + 33 (0)4 96 11 67 00
-Hôtel Ibis Marseille Saint-Charles (railway station)
Square Narvick, Esplanade Saint-Charles, 13001
Tel : +33 (0)4 91 95 62 09
6 rue Beauveau, 13002
Tel : +33(0)4 91 33 02 33
-Hôtel Maison Montgrand Vieux-port
35 rue Montgrand, 13006
Tel : +33 (0)4 91 00 35 20
- Hôtel B&B Marseille Joliette
52 rue Forbin, 13002
Tel : + 33 (0)8 92 70 22 18
Be aware that booking via booking.com is often cheaper.
A minimum registration fee will apply. Information to be provided soon.
Jose Claudio Dos Santos
- Day 0 (Sunday, April 19) Arrival of Participants. Each participant is responsible for his/her own lodging arrangements.
- Day 1 (Monday April 20): thematic session in Room I2MP MUCEM, Tour du Roi René
o 10 AM :
· Icofort Business/Statutory Meeting
· Thematic Session: examples of conservation, re-use and interpretation
o 2-3.5 PM :
· Fort Saint-Jean (1670), with Nicolas Faucherre (NF). Galerie des officiers (site visit)
o 4-5.45 PM Conference / Room I2MP MUCEM
· « Military history of Marseille, with battle of August 1944 », Bernard Descales (president of the Association des Fortifications de Marseille et des Bouches-du-Rhône)
· Discussion (with Stephane Baumeige (Heritage architect): how to protect military concrete blocks?
- Day 2 (Tuesday April 21), 9 AM: sites visits around Vieux Port:
o Fort de Notre-Dame de la Garde (1540), with NF ; bus 60 from MUCEM
o Fort Saint-Nicolas (superior and inferior, 1660), with Isabelle Guérin (architecte du patrimoine),
o Lunch at Mess des Officiers,
o Batteries (1890, WWII) and standard tower (1856) of Le Pharo, with lieutenant de vaisseau Robert Gilles,
o Antic gates of « Jardin des vestiges », Marseille History Museum site, Bourse Center, with Myriame Morel
- Day 3 (Wednesday April 22), 9 AM: sites visits in Frioul Archipelago by boat (subject to weather) and by foot (2 hours walk), with Fanel Richard, historian and ingenior, and NF:
o Château d’If (1530), by Isabelle Warmoes,
o Ratonneau : fort (1600),
o Pomègue: batterie of Caveau (1890, WWII), standard tower of Poméguet (1860),
- Day 4 (Thursday April 23), 9 AM: sites visit to Calanques and Côte Bleue
o Batterie of L’Escalette (1860, 1890, WWII), with Bernard Cros (ingénieur des Travaux maritimes),
o Batterie des Goudes (1860, 1890, WWII),
o German U-boat base (WWII), with Bernard Descales,
o Fire direction Post of Fenouil at l’Estaque (WWII), with Bernard Descales,
- Day 5 (Friday April 24),
o Fort de Bouc (1600, access by boat from Martigues), with NF (morning only)
- Day 6 (Saturday April 25), Departure of participants